Thursday, January 28, 2010

7 2 Self Portraits

January 29, 2010

Response:
I felt like my critique for this piece was very constructive. The main issues people brought up were that the eye located on my hand is awkward, and that leaving the left side of the paper unoccupied was a compositional issue.
I didn't not realize the awkwardness of the "strip" left on the left side of the paper when viewing my work before critique. When it was brought up, I felt like it was so obvious, and I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it!! I plan on adjusting the piece to engage the left side of the paper by extending the black skirt-like part of the figure so that it is wider and makes her appear more stable. Luckily for me, this is an easy fix.
As for the eye on the hand, it is to late for me to change that. My original purpose for putting it there was to represent myself as an artist; what I perceive is communicated through the work I create with my hands. From a compositional perspective, I didn't realize it would feel out of place, though it was clearly meant to make people feel a little bit uncomfortable due to the strange imagery. It was one of the very first things I drew when beginning the piece, and by the end, my work had developed into something different than where it had began. Had I drawn everything but the eye first, I may have decided not to draw it at all (considering the new composition that developed). However, I realize now that it's placement interrupts the flow of viewing the piece and was not a good compositional choice.
I am glad to have had such a constructive critique, and I really enjoyed analyzing my classmates work. I am excited to apply what I learn in these critiques to what I create in the future.

No comments: